Amazon Kindle comes with built-in Oxford English dictionary that can be used to look up word definitions. You can buy or download additional dictionaries and change them as you see fit. There are many different dictionaries available for Kindle, including English-Russian Kindle Dictionary,В English-Spanish Kindle Dictionary andВ English-German Dictionary that can be used for instant translation.
Since it seems that some users were unaware of the fact that you can change the default dictionary Kindle uses for looking up words I decided to put together this small tutorial explaining how to swap your Kindle dictionaries back and forth.
- Unless you are already there, press “Home” button to get to your home screen
- Press “Menu” button and select “Settings”
- In the settings screen press “Menu” button again and select “Change Primary Dictionary”. If at this point this menu item is non-selectable (light gray color like “Update Your Kindle” menu item on the screenshot above) it means that you have one dictionary (or none) downloaded to your Kindle. Once you download more dictionaries, you will be able to select this option.
- Select the dictionary you want to be used for instant word look-up from the list.
- Press “Home” to get back to the home screen from the Settings screen.
- Open any English book and try it out. Moving the cursor to any English word should cause definition or translation to appear either at top or bottom of the page.