Without much of an announcement, Amazon has rolled out the Kindle feature that many people has been waiting for since it was announced two months ago. Kindle books can now be lent and borrowed for a period of 14 days. The feature is only available for some of the books. Here’s official Amazon help page about eBook loan feature.
At the moment it is not integrated into Kindle device software so you have to visit amazon.com website to loan and borrow books. You can do it either via “Manage Your Kindle” page or by visiting product pages of the books that you’ve already purchased. Either way you will see one of these links.
After clicking on this link, you will be prompted to enter recipient email address, name and a personal message. They will then receive an email with the link to accept book on a loan if they wish.
The whole thing is relatively simple and straightforward. It is up to publishers to enable to disable this feature. Since I didn’t explicitly enable it for my dictionary books and they are available for lending, I guess that it’s enabled by default.
What percentage of books is lendable is hard to say at the moment. I did a quick check of my Kindle library and it roughly seems 50/50. В Typically it’s either free out-of-copyright books that have lending disabled or popular bestsellers like “Lord of the Rings” or Gunslinger series by Stephen King.
To get a feel for how this new feature works, I’m going to loan out all of the lendable books in my collection. If you like anything from the list below, just drop me a comment and I’ll loan you the book. If enough people would get interested, I would set up a book loaning exchange website, where people can list Kindle books they are willing to loan and people who would like to borrow can find them.
- Easy Crosswords for Kindle, Vol 1
- Empire of the East
- The Timegod
- English-German Dictionary WithВ Transcriptions
- English-Spanish Dictionary withВ Transcriptions
- Joomla! For Dummies
- White House Diary
- Freedom: A Novel (Oprah’s BookВ Club)
- Dragon Age: The Calling
- Photoshop Elements 8 For Dummies
- THE REPUBLIC
- Complete Dialogues of Plato (26В dialogues) The Republic, Crito, Laws, Symposium, Gorgias, Phaedrus & moreВ (mobi)
- A for Anything
- English-Russian Dictionary WithВ Transcriptions
- An American Tragedy
- The Eye of the World: Book One ofВ ‘The Wheel of Time’
- Home Buying For Dummies
- The Essential Jules VerneВ Collection (25 books)
- The Ultimate Science FictionВ Collection: Volume One (22 Books)
- The Ultimate Science FictionВ Collection: Volume Two (30+ Books)
- The Complete Mark Twain CollectionВ (Over 300 works, with active table of contents)
- Brave New World
- Roget’s Thesaurus
- QuickBooks 2009 All-in-One ForВ Dummies
- Copyright Law Of The United StatesВ Of America
- Hellhounds of the Cosmos (A Sci-FiВ Pulp Classic!)
- The Vortex Blaster and The TheВ Street That Wasn’t There
- Project Mastodon
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.В Illustrated. (mobi)
- World Wide Rave: Creating TriggersВ that Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories
- Poor Richard’s Almanack
- The Bed Time Story Book